Contemporary Funk-Jazz/Funk-Rock Band: Gigging Band. Currently only accepting top gigs at resorts and country clubs. Average about 1/month. No smoky bars. Likely add festivals and fun venues.
Regular go-to band for a ski resort (played for Memorial Day, Labor Day, and national pro circuit events) and told we would be welcome anytime. Ready to add festival gigs and country clubs when we replace the keys player who is moving out of state/country.
Contemporary Funk-Jazz/Funk-Rock/Modern Rock/Latin-esque, Upbeat project. Imagine the high-energy, syncopated, dancing, funky end of the Modern Jazz/Funk Rock/Funk Modern. We would also take classics (R and B, Motown) and rearrange them to make them Contemporary Funk-Jazz/Upbeat Smooth Jazz. Looking to offer this as an option to standard (classic rock, blues) cover bands for festivals, benefits, weddings and corporate events.
Plan to practice at home, get together 2/month to tighten up, gig 6/yr for higher-end sophisticated gigs such as corporate functions, benefits, high-end private parties, conventions, festivals, etc. No dive bars or pay our dues venues.
This could be the "fun and rewarding" project for pros who want to recharge from their daily grind of playing what is put in front of them as a job, or semi-pros who want to center themselves with other musicians in this genre that is musically interesting, challenging and fulfilling.
Requirements: High proficiency on your instrument and a good syncopated groovin' nature with contemporary-jazz-funk bias. This will be limited to advanced players. The work ethic, learning curve, song list and expectations will reflect this and may be too challenging for the casual musician.
What we want: Financially stable, solid citizen, have your own transportation, own pro-level gig-appropriate gear and be prepared to play the scheduled songs at rehearsals. Please don't expect to learn the songs at rehearsal. Band members are all professionals in their day-jobs. Geographic and schedule compatibility to make it to scheduled rehearsals about 2/month. Be one of, fit in, or at least comfortable among, the intended clientele (sophisticated, responsible, well-mannered).
What we don't want: Flakes, prima donnas, druggies, drunks, passive-aggressive/sarcastic attitudes or egos looking for a backup band. Please don't try to get in with an agenda to shifting the genre. This IS the genre of this project. Those who are offended, please do not apply. Those who are relieved, this may be just what you are looking for.
* Keys: Seems a jazz background fits best. Those with only rock/blues background or bias have not been able to keep up with the genre.
* Horns with great tone who can improvise and not need scores.
* Female and/or Male Vocal - Currently have a female vocalist. Room to add a versatile, funky, energetic, soulful not lounge: Likely 50-75% of songs will include vocals
Age: No issue, but may end up being 25-50 due to skill set and perspective, but there are exceptions.
Goal: Keep it positive and fun. We have regular venues inviting us back. Pick and choose additional venues that are fun and rewarding. No dive bars, pay-your-dues joints, etc. Looking toward festivals, weddings, corporate, private party and benefit gigs.
Region: Reno area, Nor-Cal, occasional overnights if the pay and gig is right. Not looking to be a touring group.
If interested, send me an email through CL with interest and background and I'll send you a starting song list to see if there is compatibility.
Thanks for your interest!
1) I've received several emails that did not include their background and interest areas. These have been ignored since they could easily be spam/phishing or doesn't fit in the definition of professional, non-flakes ("I'm interested", "Let me know more.", etc.). The information is already in the listing. If you want a response, please provide decent information such as background, links, and perspectives to give an idea of your musicality as a fit to the above and prove you are not a spambot. Thank you.
2) No doubt the song list will take work. If you don't have the time, dedication or skills to work up challenging material in the Funk-jazz genre, please save everyone time. We'd be glad to send you a couple songs for a fit-session -- no worries, some of the best musicians in the world don't have funk. All good if it is not in your wheelhouse.
3) You must have email and text and respond within a short time. Sorry, if you don't have email its just too cumbersome to communicate and transfer files.
Thank you for your consideration.
do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers